We are currently accepting submissions for our Spring/Summer 2014 issue until February 28, 2014. We are particularly interested in poetry from women and pieces of all types that reflect the linguistic diversity of Queens.
Fiction, Creative Non-Fiction, and Poetry
We are currently accepting fiction, creative non-fiction, and poetry of any length, but we do not generally accept so-called genre fiction. All submissions should have a strong emotive sense and the writer should demonstrate an ability to craft language to evoke emotion. Poetry can be in verse, out of verse, and/or experimental. There is no minimum or maximum number of pages or words, but we favor work that gets to the point. A maximum number of five poems may be submitted. We are happy to publish novel excerpts as long as they can stand alone. Writers from and pieces about Queens, NY are especially interesting to us, but this is not a requirement by any means.
We are interested particularly in essays about or related to Queens, NY. In addition, we would be pleased to publish essays that are not Queens-centered but are about writing or some other topic related to the journal’s mission (i.e., celebrating a diversity of voices and experiences, especially those often not given space).
We are interested in book reviews of books written by Queens writers or have a Queens, NY focus. These reviews should go beyond just reviewing the book and consider broader topics or issues.
Guidelines for all submissions:
- We strongly encourage you to buy a copy of the journal for two reasons: (1) to understand what kind of work we accept and (2) to support the work of your local Queens literary journal.
- We do accept simultaneous submissions, but if your work is accepted elsewhere, please contact ASAP.
- Only previously unpublished works will be considered.
- If we’ve published your work before, please wait one year before submitting again. Even then, please realize that our mission is to support and promote the work of all writers and poets in Queens, and preference will be given to those we haven’t published before.
- If you’ve submitted before and weren’t selected, we strongly encourage you to submit again. Non-acceptance isn’t always a reflection on the quality of the work.
- In your cover letter, be sure to include any connection you have to Queens, NY (not a requirement for acceptance), as well as any previous publications (also not a requirement for acceptance).
- We only accept submissions through our online submissions service, which allows you to track your submission. You can submit your work here. There is no fee.
- We do not accept submissions via email. We no longer accept submissions through the postal mail service. All submissions received through these methods will be discarded.
- Upon acceptance, we retain First North American Serial Rights, including serial electronic rights. All rights are reverted back to the contributor upon publication.
- Unfortunately, we cannot offer contributors payment at this stage of the journal’s development. They will, though, be given one contributor’s copy when the issue is published. Local writers may also be invited to read their work at the launch of the issue in which it was published, as well as other readings throughout the year.